Female disease vaginismus is an involuntary painful spasm of the muscles of the vagina, perineum and pelvic floor, which closes the entrance to the vagina. This causes a feeling of discomfort, pain, burning and the impossibility of intercourse.
How vaginismus is expressed – stages
Stage 1: painful spasm occurs when an attempt is made to insert a male member into the vagina, an instrument during a medical examination. At the same time, it is difficult to remove the penis on their own, which threatens him with edema and infringement.
Stage 2 : vaginal spasm occurs already when the penis approaches, or from a simple touch of the woman’s genitals.
Stage 3 : strong spasmodic painful sensations arise from mere thoughts of sexual intercourse, or examination by a gynecologist.
Primary and secondary vaginismus, their causes
· Primary vaginismus can be found in young women or adolescents who have no sexual experience. It is characterized by a combination of various types of pathologies. Reasons for this include:
– lack of knowledge about sexuality;
– hostile relationship to a sex partner;
– hidden homosexuality;
– fear of first sexual intercourse;
– fear of defloration;
– overestimated feeling of bashfulness;
– strict education;
– Imposed thoughts about the immorality of sexual contacts;
– the presence of a woman’s mental disorders – neurosis, hysteria, neurasthenia;
– frequent stressful conditions;
– inflammatory diseases of the female genital organs;
– pathology of the structure of the vagina;
– insufficient amount of vaginal secretions;
– Inelastic hymen.
· Secondary vaginismus can manifest itself in women who have been married for many years and have a long history of sexual activity. Most often this is a consequence of the following reasons:
– abortion, pregnancy, childbirth;
– physiological changes in the body associated with age, menopause;
– trauma and inflammation in the pelvic region, painful procedures, surgery;
– candidiasis, genital infections;
– bacterial vaginismus, dysbiosis in the vagina;
– sexual perversion, rude behavior of a partner;
– deviations in mental health.
Diagnosis and treatment of vaginismus
To diagnose vaginismus, the doctor asks the patient:
– about the features of her sexual and physical development;
– about the details of sexual activity;
– about previous sexual experience;
– about methods of protection against pregnancy;
– about the nature of pain.
Conducting a gynecological examination on a chair, the stage of vaginismus is determined, the necessary smears are taken for microscopic, bacteriological studies. Based on the polymerase chain reaction, various causative agents of infectious diseases of the genital area are identified.
Depending on the causes and severity of the disease, taking into account the etiological factors, the help of a psychologist, psychotherapist, gynecologist, sexologist is needed.
It has been determined that vaginismus is associated with mental disorders, therefore, psychotherapy methods are used for its effective treatment – explanatory conversations, hypnosis.
Special exercises that help to relax the muscles of the pelvis and hips, breathing exercises and reflexology are useful and effective.
In inflammatory diseases of the female organs, the necessary anti-inflammatory therapy is carried out.
Often, patients are prescribed tranquilizers, antidepressants, local lubrication of the vaginal opening.
The prognosis of the disease vaginismus is positive, if you do not drive the problem inward, but seek help from doctors. Be sure – after successful treatment, life will sparkle with bright colors. Good luck.